So I am going to do this post at the risk of looking like a nerd, but hey, that is who I am (I have embraced it). So we go to playgroup last Friday for a Valentine party and we were gone for like three hours. I was so ready to feed the kids lunch and then get them down for a nap, not to mention it was rainy and windy and freezing. So I pull in the garage and open the car door and quickly bring in our junk before getting the younger two out of the car. I step in the house and the back door was open. Not too open because we have vertical blinds (I know verticals aren't the cutest, I am working on getting some curtains), but open nonetheless. I had like a million thoughts run through my mind..."everything looks okay, but what if someone just came in... did Jaren open that before we left?...I don't hear anything...what do I do?...what if someone is in my house?...Do I go through the house myself?... Ashlyn would freak if I send her to the car and look worried...I can't let the kids in the house and blow it off" And it goes on and on. So I grabbed the phone and Ashlyn and went back to the car and called Kris. He told me to back out of the garage, lock the kids in the car and knock on a neighbors door. My luck, no neighbors were home. So I did what I had to do to be extra safe, call the police. And if I didn't call, either Kris or my dad would be on their way from work to check the house for me, and that would be silly. The dispatcher was really cool about it and sent a police man to check things out for us. So the reason for the title was because I heard it like twenty times before the police got there. We were all stuck in the car, it was freezing cold outside, and it took them almost 30 minutes to get to our house because the dispatcher wrote the wrong address, but I was so grateful that he was happy to help with my little dilemma. I say better safe than sorry. It was also a good chance to teach the kids about when we call the police and what to dial and what their uncle does as a policeman. They were just excited to get stickers and a little crime fighting dog from the police man.So lessons learned:
1-Always double check that all your doors are locked before you leave (my theory is that it was not shut all the way from the day before when Ashlyn was playing in the backyard with the neighbor)
2-Always pack extra food in the car because you never know when you will be stuck there
3-Never leave your house a complete disaster because a police man may walk through a see it ALL
4-The police are happy to do silly checks like that (what turned out ot be silly anyways)
7 comments:
It is better to be safe than sorry. I always told my kids when they got home from school before me. To come in the back door and yell and make a lot of noise. If some one was in the house they would be gone before some one saw them. We never had to try it out to see if it worked.
It is way better to be safe than sorry. I don't know if I would have thought to call the police. It is good to know that they will do silly things like that. I'm glad it turned out to be nothing!!!!
I don't think it was silly to call the police, I would have done the exact same thing. I am such a scaredy-cat, I won't even stay home alone over-night, I always make my mom come stay with me. You made the right choice!
Sorry to comment on here twice :0)
I need your help with ideas. Please take a peek at my blog and respond to the post titled HELP!!!
Thanks you’re the best!
Hey, Shauna, I am SOOOO SLOW getting caught up on the blogs. Life gets really crazy. I am glad you called the police and made sure everything was safe. We had an incident like that when the kids were little. We had gone Christmas shopping and when we came back the garage door was open. There was one problem. There was a package of frozen meat at the top of the stairs and I KNEW we hadn't left that out. We went downstairs and someone had cleaned out almost all of our meat and vegetables. We figured they must have been hungry. Probably hungrier than we were.
I Love that you did this because you need to know that although I don't have kids...I DID THIS TOO...about three weeks ago when Cami and Jeff were out of town for spring break I decided to work really late and then just crash over at their house since they were gone...I got to the house at 2:00 in the morning and I swear to this day that I saw someone stick a little finger through the blind just enough to push it down and look out...and then they were gone...so I freaked out and called the police...HAHAHA it would have been worth it if I would have gotten some stickers...man the officers here must be on a tight budget!!!
That is awesome!! I probably would have been too chicken to call the police. I think you are very wise to do that espcially with sweet kids to protect.
Post a Comment